Friday, January 18, 2013

Five for Friday




I've loved reading everyone else's link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching and I'm excited to join in! We had SUCH a good day in 1st grade today. We've been learning all about Martin Luther King Jr. this week using my MLK unit. Like I said earlier in the week, I thought that we were going to be in school on Monday but it turns out we are actually off. In my unit I planned on Monday being a day full of service projects to honor MLK's memory. But...since that couldn't happen we spent the last half of the day doing a few of the activities I planned.

1. We wrote nice and encouraging notes and headed to the library to stick them in random books to surprise someone. I modeled some things to write and then we brainstormed some more ideas. Once someone wrote 'You are a Rock Star' I got to thinking about popular songs that they could use. They thought of You're A Firework, Shine Bright Like A Diamond, and then we talked about One Direction. So when I was going around I found a sweet little boy trying to write the entire song. LOVE it!

2. We also made the cutest little signs that I'll be taking to an animal shelter to have them hang up. Would this pull at your heart strings and make you want to adopt? I hope so! = )

3. Since moving into our house this summer, most of our decorations have been seasonal. I love decorating for holidays but I want something that can be more consistent. I'm in the process of making these pretties to add above our fireplace and give it some much needed height. A Valentine's mantel is coming soon!

4. Finally got my flu shot! I'm doing everything possible to avoid sickness. I've been very strict with the kids about not spreading their germs. After a girl stuck her mouth on the edge of her desk to lick up every possible germ I might have made her cry for her lack of judgement....

5. Last but not least, I'm hoping to spend a lot of my time this weekend crafting. I made this necklace for my mom at Christmas and I'm really wanting one for myself as well. I think they would also be super cute as hair clips for some babies I know!


Hope you all had a great week as well! Enjoy your weekend! 

4 comments:

  1. Found your blog via Doodle Bugs' linky. I'm your newest follower. Loved reading your five for Friday post. The idea of leaving a card in a library book is adorable. What a fun way to brighten up someone's day!

    Love the necklace! Where did you find directions to make that?

    Erin
    www.missandersonkinder.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your idea of service projects. We are the *only* school who will be attending school on MLK Monday, and I would love to add Random Acts of Kindness to the lesson plans.

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BzWGsFKciuLAMnNZME5rbG52R0U/edit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the random acts of kindness. What a great character education moment.
    Jean
    Diving Into 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your RAK idea! What a neat surprise for whoever checks that book out.

    Twins, Teaching and Tacos.

    ReplyDelete