Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Here goes nothing....

Two nights ago I was bored while my husband and his friends watched a pointless movie, so I decided I should go online and search for some writers workshop material for the year (I need a lot of help in that area). One link leads to another and I'm directed to a Pinterest page....and it began. My obsession with not only Pinterest but teacher blogs that I never knew existed even though I had tried to search for them before.

My head's been swirling with ideas after checking out so many good resources and like a mad woman, I can't stop! Almost everything I've read has been fantastic- there are so many wonderful, hard working teachers out there who make unbelievable resources to share with others to benefit the children we all teach. One question though, does anyone else feel inadequate when looking at other blogs? I guess I'll just try to step my game up. ; )

I'm going into my fourth year teaching. My first two years were spent in Memphis where I taught ESL to Kindergarten, 2nd, and 4th graders. It was a step outside of my comfort zone and during that time I learned a lot about effective teaching. I moved back to my hometown, Kansas City, last year and got a job teaching 1st grade in a charter school. I'm gearing up to go back for year two in a couple of weeks. I love my summers so much (especially this one since I just got married!), but I think I'm ready to go back. There's nothing better than going in with a brand new set of kids and starting off the year the right way.

Today I got a bunch of dollar goodness from Target and Dollar Tree after reading so many people comment on it. I'm a sucker for school supplies, what can I say. I also worked with my husband to start hashing out my theme for the year which is SUPER HEROES! I would have never thought todo that before but I guess that's what happens when you've been together with a comic book nerd for 2 years. :) I originally was going to try and do Marvel characters like Spiderman, Thor, Captain America, etc but worried about it being too graphic and not age appropriate. I found this discussion post and knew I had to do that. Isn't that amazing??

So on our 1 month anniversary of being married, we decorated for my classroom. So sweet. He's a great drawer and I can't even describe how happy I am with them! I usually don't have a real cutely decorated classroom so this is a big step for me. I can't wait to get in my room and actually put it all together!

1 comment:

  1. A happy hello and welcome to blogging. Have fun with it.
    Cute super heroes by the way! Pop on by my blog.
    I'm doing a giveaway right now.

    Denise
    Yearn to Learn Blog

    ReplyDelete